Filming in Cambodia
Cambodia has changed a lot in the last ten years and the Cambodian authorities have put many efforts into creating one of the most “film friendly” country in Asia. It’s time to forget all you’ve been told about the Kingdom of Cambodia and to come and see by yourself.
The Cambodia Film Commission is your gateway to prepare your next shooting. A professional team, well-aware of production matters is here to assist you at every stage of the production, with a direct link to the ministry of Culture which issues shooting permits. We are here to help you step by step to make your next dream film become real.
Cambodia, a historical film country
Cambodia is a movie country by tradition, particularly thanks to its “King Cinematographer”, HM Norodom Sihanouk, who produced more than 30 movies since 1965, to the stunning Golden Age in the 60’s and the director Rithy Panh whose films are well known and awarded several times in prestigious festivals such as Cannes (People of the Rice Fields, S 21, the Burnt Theater, The Missing Picture (Oscar nominated in 2013?).
Cambodia offers a diversity of potential film locations: its marvelous rice field landscapes; the famous and incredible Angkor temples (World Heritage); the genuinely authentic charm of its towns; the riverbanks of the Tonle Sap and the Mekong, or places still unknown: pagodas and Angkorian temples whose magic provides the inspiration for new stories.
Why film in Cambodia?
- A stable political and economic environment and very few restrictions
- Great value in terms of production costs
- An expanding pool of skilled film crew available on site
- 0% tax on import/export of film related equipment
- Affordable locations (that can double for many Asian landscapes)
- Enjoyable working conditions, offering the minimum of hassle (it is smooth and simple to hire local crew or extras, while respecting the law)
- A skilled construction crew to create and build your perfect film setting
- An constantly improving tourism infrastructure (quality accommodation, internet 4G, international catering…)
- Extremely welcoming population
- And last but not least great weather conditions (even during raining season).
By choosing Cambodia, you choose an affordable production center and you participate in the economic development of the country, providing jobs for local film crew and improving film services. More importantly, through your production, you also participate in promoting Cambodian landscapes and culture worldwide .